Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

As I've said before, I'm a sucker for sci-fi, so I had to see a blockbuster like Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.  This picks up shortly after Transformers with Sam going to college, and the Autobots working with the military in secret, battling the Decepticons.  Earth has become a battleground for the civil war of the Transformers.  If that has lost you so far, don't worry, you're not missing much.

There is a story here, with some background of the Transformers conflicts from their home world.  But the emphasis is on the fighting, chasing, exploding.  I have no concept of the technology, computing power, and artistry it takes to create the animated Transformers, and to integrate them so seamlessly with people, sets, landscapes, and explosions.  But all that is lost in the muddle of the presentation.  There is so much to see so fast that the human eye cannot possibly take it all in.
Can  you tell what's going on in this picture?

Some of my friends who loved the Transformers cartoon series really love these movies.  I never got into the cartoons.  Maybe they were after my time.  In any case, I enjoyed the movie for the visual treat that it is, but it's ultimately overblown and forgettable.

Bottom line, 2 stars.

No comments: