Monday, January 25, 2010

Kilimanjaro: To the Roof of Africa

One of my coworkers is on his way to Tanzania to climb Kilimanjaro, the highest mountain in Africa, and the tallest free standing mountain in the world.  I must say, I'm quite envious.  But, thanks again to the good ol' Fort Worth Library, I can travel there on the small screen.  This video was originally made for the IMAX screen, which is much more appropriate for the subject.  The film follows a group of hikers through the five climate zones up to the crater and the summit.  I wasn't aware of the fascinating plant life that thrives there at high altitudes.  The young girl on the trek compares the plants to Dr. Seuss plants.  One of the trekkers is a geologist, and discusses the unique geological process by which Kilimanjaro was forms.  He calls it a "geological paradise."


I don't know that I'll ever get a chance to go to Kilimanjaro for real.  Maybe one day.  But this short film certainly whets the appetite for mountaineering and gives a nice introduction to what it takes to make the trip.  A beautiful, informative film.

Bottom line, 3 stars.



No comments: