Saturday, September 22, 2007

Requiem for a Dream


This is an ugly, depressing movie. I am not saying it's a bad movie, but it sure is a downer. As if the aimless young people getting involved in heroine and watching it destroy their lives wasn't enough, one of the addict's mom gets hooked on "diet pills" and it destroys her life as well! I remember going to see Pi, Aronofsky's previous work, and The Fountain, his subsequent movie. Both were a little strange, but compelling enough that I wanted to see this. A mistake. There was no one to like, no hope or redemption, nothing but darkness and despair.

One cool thing I liked in the movie: during moments of despair in a couple of scenes, the actors had a camera strapped to their chest as they ran around. That was a cool effect. Other than than, it left me feeling sick and sad and depressed. Yuck. One and half stars.

No comments: