Thursday, August 5, 2010

Sleuth (2007)

Wow, it's been a while since I've posted a movie review!  I had some publish while I was on vacation, but I haven't published one since we returned on July 26.  And I have a backlog of a dozen or so movies I haven't reviewed, so I'd better get busy.

I'll start with an easy movie to review: Sleuth.  Back in January I reviewed the original film version (here).  Both movies are based on the play by Anthony Shaffer.   The key attraction of this film is the casting.  IN the original film, a young Michael Caine played Milo, who was having an affair with Andrew's wife.  Andrew was played by acting legend Lawrence Olivier.  In this new version, the young Jude Law plays Milo, opposite Michael Caine, now an acting legend in his own right.  Both versions showcase two talented actors, but the new version is even less enjoyable than the first.
I know getting these two talents on the screen together in what is essentially a two-man show sounds good, but rather than an opportunity to shine as actors, the two compete as they mug for the camera.  The exaggerated performances and manic turns distract from what could be a decent, if a little twisted, thriller.

Like an overbearing companion at a dinner party, who, despite the quality of the fare, forces you to keep looking at your watch, these two forced me to wonder, how much longer can this movie go on?

Bottom line, 1 and 1/2 stars.

No comments: