Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Extract

Like many fans of the 1999 classic Office Space, I was looking forward to Mike Judge's new movie.  I don't know about his other fans, but I for one was sorely disappointed.  Not that there's nothing funny here.  Not that the story is terrible.  It just left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Joel, the founder of the extract company, is frustrated in his marriage, and is attracted to a new employee at the extract plant.  His drug pushing bartender best friend Dean convinces him that if his wife cheats on him, then he would have carte blanche to cheat on his wife.  As a matter of fact, Dean knows a male prostitute he can hire to seduce Joel's wife.  Feeling a bit creepy yet?  Joel's personal problems are only part of the story; he has to deal with labor disputes and a possible buyout as well.  But I was left not caring at all.

I won't waste your time telling you how it all turns out, and don't bother watching the movie to find out.  Judge tries to cobble together a happy ending, but I was just happy the movie was over.  Office Space was much better.  Even his dog of movie Idiocracy had enough brilliant social commentary to rate above Extract

Bottom line, 1 star.

No comments: